Brown Butter Cornbread by
(For an 8 inch cast iron skillet; makes 4 servings)
- 2.5 Tbsp butter
- 2 oz cornmeal
- 2 oz all-purpose flour
- 1.5 Tbsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg (if scaling recipe up, use an additional egg at 3x, 5x, etc...)
- 1.5 oz shaken buttermilk
- 2 oz sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place butter in 8 inch cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven, heat until butter is melted and well browned, around 10-20 minutes or however long it takes you to measure and prepare the wet and dry ingredients.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Combine eggs, sour cream, and buttermilk in a second bowl and whisk until homogenous.
- Leaving about 1 tbsp of the butter in the cast iron skillet, slowly drizzle browned butter from the pan to the wet ingredients while whisking.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until homogeneous.
- Carefully swirl the skillet to coat interior surface with the remaining butter.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, shake the pan to ensure the cooking surface is fully covered. Lightly smooth the top.
- Bake until light golden brown on top and a wooden skewer inserted into cornbread comes out with no crumbs, 15 to 20 minutes.