Latkes (makes 8-10 medium-large) by
2 large russet potatoes (about 1 lb), scrubbed and cut lengthwise to fit into food processor
1 large onion (2 medium onions), peeled and cut to fit into food processor
2 large eggs
1/2 C all-purpose flour
4 large pinches coarse kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch coarsely ground black pepper
Canola oil, for frying
large russet potatoes (about 1 lb), scrubbed and cut lengthwise to fit into food processor
large onion (2 medium onions), peeled and cut to fit into food processor
C all-purpose flour
large pinches coarse kosher salt
pinch coarsely ground black pepper
1) Using a food processor with a coarse grating disc, grate the potatoes and onions. Transfer mixture to a colander sitting atop a small bowl such that there is space between the bottom of the colander and the bottom of the bowl.
2) With a clean dish towel, press the potatoes and onions with body weight. The towel should absorb water from the top, and the colander should squeeze liquid from the bottom. Toss potatoes and onions in the colander to loosen.
TIP: If you have a salad spinner available, that would serve the same purpose of extracting as much water as possible.
3) Repeat step 2 until the potatoes and onions no longer drip water into the smaller bowl when pressed.
4) Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add eggs, flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper. Mix with a fork until flour has been absorbed and ingredients have been equally mixed.
5) In a medium-large heavy bottomed pan, pour in 1/4 inch of oil. Heat over medium+ heat to about 325 F.
6) Add a heaping forkful of the batter to the oil, and use a spatula to flatten and shape to desired thickness. Repeat 4x. When the edges of the latke are brown and crispy, about 5 minutes, flip with a spatula.
TIP: Once you pick up a latke with a spatula, slightly tilt the pan so there is a space you can flip the latke to without splattering a 1/4 inch of oil.
7) Cook until the second side is also deeply browned (about another 5 minutes).
8) Transfer latkes to paper towel lined plate or a wire rack in a baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional salt while warm. Serve with applesauce or sour cream.