Simple Pastry Shell by
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), cold, cubed
1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
cold water to bind
unsalted butter (1 stick), cold, cubed
and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1. Grease a pie pan
2. Add butter to flour in a large bowl and, using a fork or potato masher, combine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
3. Using a cold table knife, stir in cold water a tablespoon at a time with a crisscrossing cutting motion until mixture clumps together.
4. Using fingertips, gather mixture together into a ball and very lightly knead until it comes together in a ball and becomes a stiff dough, may need to add a little bit more water, but add it a few drops at a time so it doesn't get too sticky.
5. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll with a floured rolling pin.
6. Gently transfer it into the pie pan, easing it into the corners instead of pushing so it doesn't stretch and rip.
7. (Optional) You can blind bake the dough by baking in a preheated oven at 350 for 10 minutes (good for wet fillings, like the lentil quiche or fruit pies)