Skillet Caramel Apple Pie by
1 pkg. refrigerated piecrusts
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 T. half and half
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 T. bourbon
3 lb. Fuji apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
2.5 T cornstarch
1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 T water
pkg. refrigerated piecrusts
packed light brown sugar
T. half and half
lb. Fuji apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
5 T cornstarch
large egg yolk, lightly beaten
1. Fit 1 piecrust on bottom and press up sides of a 9 inch cast iron skillet. Transfer skillet to refrigerator and let chill while assembling caramel sauce and filling.
2. Preheat oven to 425. Stir together brown sugar, butter, half and half, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, Cook, stirring until butter melts and mixture begins to bubble, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and bourbon. Let caramel sauce cool, almost to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
3. Toss apples with cornstarch in a large bowl. Pour 1/3 cup caramel sauce over apples, toss to coat. Reserve remaining caramel sauce for serving. Pour apple filling into prepared skillet.
4. Place remaining piecrust over apple filling. Crimp edges together. Using a sharp knife, cut 6 to 8 slits in top crust, 1 inch long, for steam to escape. Whisk together egg yolk and water in a small bowl, brush over crust.
5. Bake pie in preheated oven on bottom oven rack until crust is golden, about 55 minutes to 1 hour. After 40 minutes, sheild edges of crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning. Transfer to wire rack to cool about 3 hours. Serve with reserved caramel sauce.