Pretzel Rolls by
6 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup baking soda
2 cups warm water
teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cups warm water
plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
s all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
tablespoons canola oil
s warm water
1) In a mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, briefly blend the yeast, warm water, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Let rest about 10 minutes so it can “bloom” to activate the yeast.
2) After yeast has activated, add the flour, remaining sugar, salt and oil. Mix for 5 minutes or until a smooth, dense dough has formed.
3) Remove the dough from the mixer and transfer to a greased medium-sized bowl. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
4) Line a baking sheet with kitchen parchment and spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into a rope about 2 inches in diameter. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces. This should give you roughly 35 rolls.
5) Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Cover with a clean dishcloth and let rise again for 30 minutes.
6) Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. In another bowl, combine the baking soda and warm water. Transfer the baking soda solution to a spray bottle and spray the rolls generously with the solution. Sprinkle with extra kosher salt if you like. Bake for 15 minutes until the rolls are a rich dark brown all over.
7) Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet.