Coconut Macroons by
Tags: Cookies, C
3 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
s sweetened, shredded coconut
large egg whites
* Place an oven rack in the bottom third of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Toast the coconut(optional). For deeper coconut flavor and extra-crispy macaroons, spread the coconut on the baking sheet and toast for about 5 min, or until just barely starting to show some color. Let cool slightly before using.
* Whisk the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt and combine in a mixing bowl. Whisk until the whites and sugar are completely combined and the mixture is frothy.
* Combine the coconut and egg white mixture. Pour the coconut over the egg white mixture and stir until the coconut is evenly moistened.
* Shape the macaroons. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. With wet hands to prevent sticking, shape the coconut mixture into small balls about 1 1/2" in diameter. Space them an inch or so apart on the baking sheet.
* Bake the macaroons for 15-20 min, until golden.
* Cool the macaroons. Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 min, transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Macaroons can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.