Barszcz czerwony (red borscht) - Old Polish version by
- white beans: 1 can or 1 glass of soaked and boiled
- baked beetroot: 4 medium
- pickled beet juice: 1 glass
- pork sausage, without the skin: 250 g
- baked pork neck or shoulder, with its melted fat: 250 g
- homemade bullion (on vegetables and mushrooms): 3 glasses
- onion: 1 big
- lard or olive oil for frying the onion
- pepper, 3 corns of allspice, bay leaf, sugar, salt
- apple vinegar or lemon juice
- sour or sweet thick cream: 1 glass
1. Chop the onion and fry until translucent.
2. Chop the sausage into half-slices and fry with onion for 2 minutes. Then put aside.
3. Peel and grate beetroot into a pot.
4. Sprinkle with lemon juice and pour bullion.
5. Add spices and bring to boil.
6. Add onion with sausage, beans and chopped pork with its fat.
7. Add some water at your discretion.
8. Boil for 5-7 minutes.
9. Turn the heat off, add pickled beet juice and whipped a bit cream. Don't boil!
Serve with potatoes (boiled or fried).