Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole by
Butternut squash and other vegetables mixed together with quinoa makes a delicious vegetarian, gluten-free, and vegan friendly casserole for the whole family.
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Prep Cook Time 20 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 cups cubed butternut squash
1 cup uncooked quinoa + 2 cups water (3 cups cooked)
2 cups corn
1 15 oz can black beans (a little more than a cup), drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon ground cumin (see notes)
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tomato (chopped)
1 avocado (diced)
2 cups cheddar cheese (non-dairy cheese if vegan)
Salsa or hot sauce (optional, for serving)
tablespoons olive oil
s cubed butternut squash
uncooked quinoa + 2 cups water (3 cups cooked)
15 oz can black beans (a little more than a cup), drained and rinsed
tablespoon ground cumin (see notes)
s cheddar cheese (non-dairy cheese if vegan)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Roast the butternut squash either in the oven 400°F for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package instructions (Add the quinoa + water in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until water is mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes).
4. In a large casserole dish (at least 9x13), add the cooked squash and quinoa, corn and black beans. Sprinkle in cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix together.
5. Add tomato and avocado (you may prefer to wait until after baking to add the avocado). Top with cheese.
6. Bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. If you desire extra crunch with this casserole, add 1/2 - 1 cup bread crumbs or panko (gluten-free if necessary) before adding the cheese.
Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium:
185mg | Potassium: 781mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 11720IU | Vitamin C: 31.2mg | Calcium: 278mg |
Nutrition Information (per serving):