Savory Breakfast Muffins by
If you're tired of sweet breakfast muffins or just looking for a savory breakfast, try these--you'll love the smoky flavor from the Canadian bacon and the fresh-tasting combination of red bell pepper and scallions.
Makes 1 dozen muffins.
Total time: 45 minutes.
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, (about 1 bunch)
- 3/4 cup diced Canadian bacon, (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and butter in a medium bowl. Fold in scallions, bacon, cheese and bell pepper. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just moistened. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan (the cups will be very full).
4. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Nutrition Information (per serving):
|| 9 g
|| 3 g
|| 50 mg
|| 339 mg
|| 3 g
|| 9 g