Smoky beans with basil & bacon by
Tags: Medium, LongPrep
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
2 rashers smoked back bacon
420g can of cannellini beans
2 large tomatoes, preferably vine-ripened
6 or so large fresh basil leaves
a few drops of Tabasco sauce, optional
rashers smoked back bacon
g can of cannellini beans
large tomatoes, preferably vine-ripened
or so large fresh basil leaves
1. Warm the oil in a medium saucepan while you quickly chop the onion into quite small pieces.
2. Add the onion to the pan, give it a good stir with a wooden spoon then leave it to cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, snip the bacon in half lengthways with scissors and either cook them between 2 sheets of kitchen paper in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on HIGH or in a frying pan in the usual way until the fat is golden and crisp.
4. Open and drain the beans then roughly chop the tomatoes and add them both to the pan.
5. Stir well and cook for another few minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
6. Shred the basil and add to the pan with salt and a generous grinding of black pepper – for extra heat you can add a few drops of Tabasco sauce.
7. Spoon onto plates and top each with the bacon. Serve with lightly toasted bread on the side
Nutrition Information (per serving):
|| 17 g
|| 3 g
|| 1.42 mg
|| 9 g
|| 16 g