Sweet Sticky Rice (Requires Steamer) by
Another alternative is to wrap rice in extra layer of leaves, than leave on a bbque for 40 min-1 hr
1 cup sticky rice
1 cup fresh coconut milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 plantain sliced
1 package Banana Leaves, washed & trimmed
fresh coconut milk
package Banana Leaves, washed & trimmed
1. Take one cup of Lao sticky rice. Rinse and drain several times in cold water to remove any debris. Add cold water to cover sticky rice. Let sticky rice soak in cold water overnight or for at least 4 hours.
2. Place a sauce pan over medium heat. Add fresh coconut milk and sugar into sauce pan. Stir to dissolve sugar.
3. Drain water from the sticky rice. Add Sticky rice into sauce pan.
4. Stir rice until coconut milk is absorbed and resembles a thick porridge.
5. Turn heat off and let rice cool.
6. Remove the skin from the plantain. Slice the plantain into nine pieces.
7. Take a sheet of a Banana Leaf that is about the size of a standard paper (8.5"x11").
8. Add one heaping tablespoon of rice into Banana Leaf.
9. Add one slice of plantain over rice
10. Add another heaping tablespoon of rice over plantain.
11. Fold banana leaf as if you are wrapping a gift box.
12. Add two inches of water into the steaming pot. Place the steaming pot on a stove element set to high heat. Place steaming basket into steaming pot. Add Khao Dome in the steaming basket. Place a lid over Khao Dome. Steam Khao Dome for 40 minutes.