Basic Bread by
1 package (1/4 oz, 2-1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
2-1/4 C warm water (110 F - 115 F)
3 Tbsp sugar, plus 1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp canola oil
450 g bread flour, plus 3-1/2 cups (for adding in rough 1/2 cup increments)
package (1/4 oz, 2-1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
-1/4 C warm water (110 F - 115 F)
sugar, plus 1/2 tsp sugar
g bread flour, plus 3-1/2 cups (for adding in rough 1/2 cup increments)
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand until bubbles form on surface (around 15 minutes?)
2. While waiting for bubbles to form on surface, whisk together remaining sugar, salt, and 450 g bread flour in stand-mixer bowl.
3. Once bubbles have started forming on surface of yeast mixture, stir oil into yeast mixture. Set flour mixture on stand mixer, mix on low with dough-hook attachment. Slowly pour yeast mixture into the flour mixture. Mix, scraping down the sides, until smooth.
4. Add additional flour in 1/2 cup increments until a soft dough has formed, waiting until each amount is fully incorporated before adding more.
5. Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth.
6. Place dough into a greased bowl, turning once to ensure that the top of the dough is oiled as well. Cover the bowl with a clean dish towel.
7. Set oven to preheat to the lowest possible temperature for about 30 seconds, just enough to heat the oven slightly above a comfortable room temperature.
8. Let dough rise in warmed (but turned off) oven 90-120 minutes (until it has doubled in size).
9. Punch dough down, turn over and punch down again. Move dough from large bowl to greased dutch oven.
10. Repeat oven preheat (step 7), cover with lid and let rise 90-120 minutes (until doubled).
11. Remove dutch oven, and preheat oven to 350 F.
12. Once preheated, bake dough, uncovered, until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped, about 35-40 minutes. Cook longer if necessary.