Madras Lamb Curry by
Madras Curry Paste ------------------- 1 tblspn coriander seeds 1 tblspn cumin seeds 1 tspn fenel seeds 1 tspn mustard seeds 1 tspn cayenne chili pepper 1 tspn paprika 1 tspn cinnamon 1 tspn fenugreek 1 tspn turmeric Other curry ingredients ----------------------- 1 kg of lamb or mutton shoulder 1 can tinned peeled tomatoes 1-2 tblspn tomatoe paste 1 large onion 4 garlic cloves
1) Dry roast seeds, until fragrant and grind in mill. Mix in remaining powders and add 1-2 tblspn of water to form a paste
2) Dice lamb into cubes and smear curry paste over meat. Cover and refridgerate overnight.
3) Heat some vegetable oil and brown meat in a hot non-stick pan. Turn pieces individually and remove to a large pot when seared.
4) Reduce heat and soften chopped onion and garlic. Remove and place in pot.
5) Pour about 1 litre of lamb stock into pan and heat making sure you combine flavour of left over curry paste, meat, onion and garlic. Once warm pour contents into pot.
6) Add can of tomatoes and tomatoe paste and simmer on very low heat for 5-6 hours. This is ideal for slow cooker.