Summer Pean and Pancetta Salad by
½ cup fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
· 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
· 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
· 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
· ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
· 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
· ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 pound fresh English peas *
· 4 ounces goat cheese
· 1 ½ ounces pancetta
Shell and blanch the peas. Blanching makes the peas softer to eat without cooking them thoroughly. Blanch the peas by placing them in boiling water for 1 ½ minutes in boiling water, ice water to cool and drain.
Slice the pancetta thinly and then mince. In a small, heavy skillet, brown the pancetta until almost crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
In a bowl combine the mint, capers, shallot, lemon zest, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add peas and pancetta, fold together. Add goat cheese and fold in. Best flavor at room temperature.